This weekend, Arizona gets way into zombies, steampunk, video games, and books books books.
Yeesh, all the big action is happening down in Tucson this weekend. May be worth the drive though.
Thursday, March 7th
- I’m having a hard time pinning down exactly what this is besides a pre-recorded panel type Q&A with the stars of the show, but hey, if you’re a big Walking Dead fan (what do you call WD fans?) it could be worth checking out. Find a theater and show up in time for it to start at 7pm.
Friday, March 8th
- Well yippie kay yay, it’s a full blown steampunk convention! I have heard nothing but good about this convention in years past. Costumes, panels, steampunk bands, the whole works. Wild Wild West Con 2013 airships into Old Tucson March 8 – 10. Chrononauts welcome.
- This sounds completely awesome. Downtown Mesa is turning into a living amage to video games for the entire evening. If you missed HeatSync Labs’ brilliant Retro Gaming Night a few years ago, here’s your chance to catch it. Plus video game artists galore, toys, costumes, and even presentations on game design and theory. Here’s the info, starts around 6pm.
Mr Vampire 2 [Phoenix]
- Want an unintentional vampire comedy, but don’t want to finish off the Twilight saga? Try Japan’s Mr Vampire 2, if you prefer your vampires to hop instead of sparkle. Watch it with other obscure retro Japanese film fans at The Film Bar. (And go back the next day to see if The Suicide Shop is any good. Looks funny to me, but I can have a dark sense of humor.)
Saturday, March 9th
- There are a bazillion reasons to check out the Tucson Festival of Books, but for me personally, I only need one: Patrick Rothfuss. I’m a bit of a Kingkiller Chronicles fanboy, and I’m pretty dang bummed I can’t make it down this weekend to shake his hand and get a signature in my copy of Name of The Wind. Local favorites like Steamcrow will be setting up as well as at least one bazillion authors, presentations, vendors, etc. Learn all about it on their site.
Get out there! Do something new. Meet weird people. Be weirder.
What’s going on this weekend that sounds awesome to you?