Most of us will be going to PUGS, the Star Trek TNG Panel, and The Geek Prom this weekend. And few things will be able to make me skip Phil LaMarr on Friday. (Sorry Worf).
But one of my favorite things about Phoenix Comicon is breaking away from things I already know I’ll enjoy, and exploring the truly fascinating, the unarguably weird, and the obscenely obscure nooks and crannies found deep within the programming available.
Here are seven panels / events I found that piqued my interest, or made me laugh:
BLOOD CURDLING SCREAM WAR – ROUND 1
SATURDAY: 9:00PM – 10:00PM Location: 131A
- If the description for this event is to be believed, then this is exactly what it sounds like.
- A screaming war… for an hour!
- And this is just round 1! There are 2 rounds of nerds screaming at each other!
BEING NERD IN THE WORKPLACE
SUNDAY: 4:30PM – 5:30PM Location: 130
- “Is it cool to bring you legos to work? Can you put being a Dungeon Master on your resume?”
- Can these questions be definitively and universally answered in a panel?
- Also, did they mean being A nerd, or being Nerd? If so, who is Nerd?! Argh, I must know!
DRAMATIC FANFIC READING
SATURDAY: 7:30PM – 8:30PM Location: 129A
- There’s something paradoxically wonderful about great readings of bad writing.
- Can’t wait to hear classical actors putting their hearts and souls into reading painfully awful fan fiction.
- “Have you ever read a story that was so moving, and so deep that it changed your life for the better? These are not those stories.”
A GLITCH IN YOUR SYSTEM
FRIDAY: 7:30PM – 8:30PM Location: 227BC
- Some glitches have become the stuff of gamer legend.
- (Oh hey, thanks for this sweet item, Diablo! I’m just going to go ahead and dupe that now.)
- Learn about and see some of the most famous glitches in history.
ASCENDING TO THE ISS
SATURDAY: 4:30PM – 5:30PM Location: 124B
- Listen to someone talk about being a finalist in NASA’s astronaut program?
- Yes, thank you.
- (I’m a bit of a space nut.)
IN SPACE, NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SAY ARRRR!
SUNDAY: 10:30AM – 11:30AM Location: 124A
- So, when humanity finally starts moving around out there in space, you know we’re going to have space pirates, right?
- Might as well get ready now.
- I will stand up and walk out if they don’t talk about Ice Pirates. (And Metroid, obviously.)
SATURDAY: 12:00PM – 1:00PM Location: 227BC
- These guys will be making some seriously giant origami cranes.
- Like, strap-on-the-hood-of-your-car giant.
- Could be fun!
So what have you found that sounds fun, interesting, or downright odd?