This weekend, Arizona wears tights, colorful wigs, steampunk goggles, and tons of fake blood.
Two geek conventions this weekend, as well as a few other events of nerdical interest.
Friday, January 6th
- It’s year number two for this Mesa comic book convention!
- Walking Dead fans should be excited – Robert Kirkman is their big guest.
- All weekend at the Mesa Convention Center.
- Everything you need to know is on their site.
- And get your Anime convention fix in Mesa as well.
- It’s all the Japanese culture you can eat!
- Also all weekend, at the Mesa Hilton.
- Details on TaiyouCon’s site.
- (10 Internet Points to whoever can tell me what they’re parodying in this video.)
Steampunk Fashion Show [Phoenix]
- Top hats, aviator goggles, boxy-looking backpack things, oh my!
- See them all, as well as some Steampunk art and live old-timey music.
- At The Firehouse in Phoenix, part of 1st Friday.
- Details to the face! Pow!
- Well, The Royale is gone, but it looks like The Film Bar is picking up some geek steam.
- Check out this movie about a planet ruining everything for some folks.
- Apparently has a lot of positive buzz. I’m curious if it’s good.
- Starts at 7pm, and here’s a trailer, etc.
Official Walking Dead Zombie Walk [Mesa]
- Techinically part of Amazing Con, but this one’s free to the public.
- Maybe you’ll bump into Robert Kirkman while you’re there.
- At (and hosted by) Gotham City Comics in downtown Mesa, around 7:30pm.
- More details on my post about this zombie walk.
- *Update – Monsterland will also open for free during this time!
Saturday, January 7th
- I don’t know much about Ham Radio, but these party people do!
- Join in the amateur radio revelry, or learn all about it for the first time.
- At Northwest Community Church in Phoenix from about 6am to noon.
- Learn more, you crazy radio builder you.
Voyage Trekkers [Phoenix]
- There ain’t no parody like Star Trek parody.
- Arizona created web series Voyage Trekkers knows this well.
- See an 8pm screening of their show at The Film Bar.
- I think this sounds pretty fun.
Sunday, January 8th
*Added* No Pants Light Rail Ride [Phoenix]
- Eventually, you’ll want to strip out of that cosplay.
- Might as well leave your knickers off.
- Strut your geekiest boxers/briefs/etc at this flash-mob.
- Here are the details, if you’re brave.
- (Thanks for the reminder, Jeff!)
- I’m mentioning this show because Six String Samurai is a guilty pleasure of mine.
- If you’ve seen it, you know who this band is.
- 8pm at The Rhythm Room. (Also playing in Tucson the night before!)
- Check out their tour info.
That’s a lot of things to do this weekend, cephalobots.