This weekend, Arizona parties for science, protests whatever, celebrates SciFi, serves butterbeer, rallies even more Browncoats, uses the force, and more.
Another packed weekend. Here’s everything I’m currently aware of, but please leave a comment if you know of more.
Also, I hope you’ll “like” my Facebook page as much as you dislike Facebook’s new changes.
Friday, September 23rd
Flagstaff Festival… OF SCIENCE! [Flagstaff]
- A whole week of science-y goodness!
- Guests include Dr. John Grunsfeld and Ira Flatow himself!
- (They’ll be doing a live ScienceFriday on NPR, so tune if even if you can’t make it.)
- Get the lowdown on everything else going on.
The 13th Floor Grand Opening [Phoenix]
- It’s that time of year when haunted houses start opening; this is one of them.
- The 13th Floor claims to be nationally famous, so swing by the festivities if you’re curious.
- From 7pm to Midnight.
- Details and location here.
Saturday, September 24th
Fake Protest Flash Mob 2 – Down With Sequals [Phoenix]
- Some fun geeky signs were included last time, and I bet we can do even more this time around.
- The folks from ImprovAZ and FlashMobAZ and combining powers for this one.
- From 10am to 11am.
- Be sure to RSVP on Facebook so you can stay up to date with everyone else.
- And remember leave any actual angst at home – these are silly, geeky, and nonsensical.
SciFi Saturday [Mesa]
- Downtown Mesa is geeking out again this Saturday, starting with this nerdtacular event.
- SciFi flicks going on all day, including those hilariously bad Ewok movies from the 80′s.
- But also artists and costumes, and the like.
- From 11am through the rest of the day.
- Learn all about it.
Can’t Stop The Serenity [Tucson]
- If you missed the Valley’s version on Sunday, you can still go to Tucson’s!
- Watch the old girl on the big screen again and cohort with other Browncoats for charity.
- This one promises to be bigger and mightier than the Phoenix version.
- Check out the Arizona Browncoats for details.
Party at Platform 9 3/4 [
- Get ready to attend Hogwarts by swinging by Bookmans Mesa from 1pm to 2:30pm.
- Tons of little Potter-type activities for the whole family, and some folks even dress up.
- Accio details!!
Street Fighter Tournament & The Movie! [Mesa]
- This sounds like the best way to spend a Saturday night ever.
- Downtown Mesa continues the geek action at the Royale from 1pm through the rest of the day.
- Participate in a Super Street Fighter IV tournament put on by Devastation.
- Then watch Raul Julia fly around a room quoting scripture in the perfectly awful Street Fighter: The Movie.
- Punch these details in the face.
Sunday, September 25th
Star Wars Day Chase Field [Phoenix]
- Some people like baseball and Star Wars.
- Did I just blow your mind?!
- Maybe not, but the two combine this Sunday.
- Star Wars t-shirts, costumed visitors, movie clips, giveaways, and other programming.
- Check it out if you want to go.
Have fun, everyone.
Maybe I’ll see you out and about!