This weekend, Arizona get’s very Harry, puts on some anime costumes, and games games games.
It’s been a very exciting week in the Octopus household, and this weekend should prove to be very fun as well.
There is geekery to be had all over the valley – and beyond – all weekend.
Thursday, July 14th
- I know of two advance showings happening at 7pm Thursday night; both for charity.
- One for A Special Connection Foundation at San Tan Harkins in Chandler.
- And one for The Phoenix Film Foundation at Shea Harkins in Scottsdale.
- If you’re interested, read my post about seeing Harry Potter early for details.
Friday, July 15th
- Dust off that Phoenix Comicon costume and head up to Flag!
- Anime Kaigi 2011 is a full blown Anime convention happening all weekend long.
- It boasts the usual offerings such as voice actors, masquerades, and loads of cosplaying.
- Learn all about Anime Kaigi on their site.
- Masters of short-form improv, The Jester’z are donning scarves and robes this weekend.
- Shows this weekend are Potter themed, and they’ll be performing on the spot based on your Rowling-eque suggestions.
- And wear your own costume for a chance to win prizes.
- Official details and Harry Potter improv show times here.
Saturday, July 16th
- If you love tabletop gaming in any form, you may want to swing by this “mini gaming convention.”
- I’ve been to one of these Vul-Con Arenas before, and it was pretty epic.
- Learn to play just about any table game you can think of, or join up with a more experienced group.
- All day long at Imperial Games Outpost.
- Learn more about Vul-Con on their site.
- Wake up on island.
- Punch trees – with other mine-crafters!
- The Arizona Minecrafters are hosting a craft-fest.
- At Gangplank from 3pm – 6pm.
- Learn more on the Minecraft-athon Facebook Event page.
- Those Inglorious Geeky Podcasters who interviewed me this week are hosting a game night.
- Mortal Kombat, MTG, and they’ll be teaching n00bs how to play DnD.
- And they’re providing the snacks!
- At Gotham City Comics from 6pm – 9pm.
- Here are the details.
Get out, have fun, and support the local geek scene.
And, as always, share what you might go do this weekend, and let me know if I missed anything!