This weekend, Geek Arizona recoils in horror at “It!”, overdoses on video games, crushes on Harry Potter, and builds lanterns for Japan.
Seems like most of the action this weekend bounces back and forth between two specific locations. It’s weird how that happens. I have a theory that if you plotted out every geek event location in Arizona over the last year, you’d start to see a golden spiral.
That thing is everywhere!
Friday, May 13th
- “Seeing It is creepier than letting a clown use your shower.”
- For this month’s 2nd Friday, Evermore Nevermore is pulling out some Americana road-side attraction magic.
- Come see “It,” then immediately scream and curl into your boyfriends comforting arms.
- Mesa’s 2nd Friday usually starts moving around 7-ish, and “It” comes out of the basement around 7:30pm.
- While you’re there, the Rusted Nail Gallery across the street is hosting a local toy maker show featuring villains and unseemly characters.
- The wife and I should be wandering around, so say “Hi” if you see us.
Saturday, May 14th
- Not everyone who likes fighting games enjoys brutal fatalities.
- Some enjoy adorable cartoons pummeling each other.
- Gotham City Comics knows this, and they’re hoping you’ll come back to Mesa for a tournament.
- Starting around 11:30am and going into the afternoon.
- Details on Facebook.
Bookmans Video Game Challenge [Phoenix]
- But then again, some gamers do love carnage.
- Let Bookmans Phoenix & Devastation bring out your inner decapitator with a free Mortal Kombat tournament.
- This one starts at Noon and goes into the afternoon.
- Win store credit and bragging rights.
- Details at their site.
Sunday, May 15th
- Arizona’s Harry Potter fan club is meeting once again!
- Everyone is welcome to join in the borderline-unhealthy-but-oh-so-sweet obsession with all things HP.
- And yes, it’s at Bookmans Phoenix.
- Details on their calendar.
Craft For Japan [Chandler]
- Help HeatSync Labs help Japan.
- They’re soldering kimono lanterns, knitting scarves, and folding cranes.
- Not an expert on any of those? HeatSync hackers are ready to teach.
- Start your crafting at 4pm at Gangplank.
- Learn more at the Craft For Japan site.
So much time, so little to do. Wait a minute – strike that. Reverse it.