This weekend, Arizona sinks with the Cinematic Titanic, teleports in an anthropomorphic duck, celebrates books, and cranks it up to Ludicrous Speed.
It’s a bit of a movie-heavy weekend for us geeks up in Phoenix. To even things out, Tucson is providing a counter-balance to our magical moving pictures with a focus on a more ancient art of storytelling.
Friday, Mar 11th
- I wanted to check this film out when it was playing at the International Horror & Sci-Fi Film Festival last October.
- Supposed to be a pretty fun sci-fi head-trip.
- Claims to be “steampunk,” but I couldn’t gather anything of the sort in the trailer. Maybe I’m wrong.
- Anyone seen it?
- At The Film Bar in Phoenix, showings at 9pm and 11pm. (Also 11pm Sat.)
- Retro-futuristic details.
Saturday, Mar 12th
Tucson Festival of Books [Tucson]
- Bibliophiles rejoice!
- Tucson is celebrating “small rectangular objects. They’re called books. They require a little effort on your part, and make no bee-bee-bee-bee-beeps.”
- Tons of vendors, authors, local artists, and it always seems to draw a pretty big geek crowd.
- Starts Saturday and goes through Sunday at the U of A.
- Learn more and check out their list of guests on the Tucson Festival of Books site.
Cinematic Titanic Live [Mesa]
- Want a chance to see and meet the original cast of MST3K?
- Joel, Trace, TV’s Frank, & Pearl will be riffing some schlocky Japanese insect Armageddon movie, live.
- At the Mesa Arts Center with shows at 4pm and 8:30pm. Tickets aren’t cheap though.
- Word on the street is they tend to stick around afterward and meet the crowd.
Howard The Duck [Tempe]
- I still have nightmares about this absolutely bizarre sci-fi cult classic.
- Produced by George Lucas, it stars Marty McFly’s mom, Ferris Bueller’s dean, and a duck.
- At Madcap Theaters with the show starting at 8pm.
- You have to see it to believe it.
- Le details.
- When you’re done scratching your head, stick around for one of the greatest SciFi comedies ever.
- Get caught playing with your dolls again, and meet Mr Radar!
- This will be presented with “MuV Chat,” where, I think, the audience texts in their own riffs and they show up on the screen?
- Also at Madcap Theaters, starting at 10pm, right after Howard.
- The passcode to get in is… 1… 2… 3… 4… 5.
Sunday, Mar 13th
Con-Ichiwa Kickoff Event [Tucson]
- Man, Tucson is tearing it up this month!
- If you’re still down there from the Book Festival, stick around for the kickoff of Tucson’s Anime convention.
- Get the details on their Facebook Event Page.
Are you plugged in to the Twittersphere?
Follow me, and feel the power of my #cephalopodblood.
Looks like I might be at the Cinematic Titanic show Saturday night.
What are you up to this weekend?