This weekend, Arizona throws a comics party, pits Marvel vs Capcom, turns Japanese, and creates comics with kids.
If you’re new here, why not subscribe to the blog and stay on top of what’s going on in Geek Arizona?
I do my best to compile as much as possible about the nerd scene here in The AZ and share it with you on a regular basis.
Friday, Feb 25th
- Start your weekend with some high levels of WTF-ittude.
- This film should hopefully succeed in blowing your kaiju-loving mind.
- Catch it Fri and Sat at The Film Bar in Phoenix at 11pm.
- Bigger than life details here.
- Seriously, at least check out the bizzare trailer.
Saturday, Feb 26
- We’re a ways from Talk Like A Pirate day, but that’s not stopping those who say “Argh!” from invading the RenFest.
- Pirate themes, costume contests, and the like.
- Also, The Phoenix Comicon’s official charity, Kids Need To Read will be at the festival, trading books for free kids admissions.
- HUZZA… oh, you get the point.
Arizona Matsuri Festival [Phoenix]
- Geeks tend to love Japan for the giant robots, ninjas, deadly notebooks, and cybernetic agents they export to our great country on a regular basis.
- Celebrate their culture with style downtown this weekend, both Sat and Sun.
- Starting at 10am at Heritage & Science Park in Phoenix.
- Admission is free! Learn more.
Party at Jesse James Comics [Glendale]
- If comics are your thing, you might not want to miss this bash.
- The list of guests is too big for a bullet point, but it’s pretty fun and includes a lot of local talent.
- Get the details on their FB Event page.
- Will there be any Electric Octopi showing up? There just may be!
Marvel vs Capcom 3 Tournament [Mesa]
- Well it’s finally out, and you’ve been practicing – time to prove your skillz.
- Bring your MvC3 game (figuratively, not literally) to Atomic Comics in Mesa for a tournament.
- Buy in is a fiver, and it starts at 2pm.
- Get your flyer here.
Sunday, Feb 27th
Kids Comic Creation Day [Mesa]
- These usually end up pretty packed.
- Local talent works with kids to make their own characters, and even create some actual comics.
- From Noon to 3pm at the Atomic Comics in Mesa again.
- Here are your details.
May your weekends be merry and bright!